We are 80% of the way done with the first month of the New Year….many of you have taken time to reflect on how you want this year to look for you, but some of you (i.e. me) are just getting started. Here are some things to consider as you set goals and adjust them along the way….
(1) Break your goals down into categories….Some examples include mental, physical, spiritual, and financial. How will you have a healthier body? How much money do you want to make this year? What mental blocks are hindering you in life? How can you spend more time with God? It is easier to not become overwhelmed when you have a place for each goal. As the year moves on, you are able to reflect on what you have accomplished and the things that you wish to adjust.
(2) Do a brain vomit…in other words, let it all out. Think of the wildest, most extravagant, healthiest version of yourself and your life…then write it down. Oversimplify it if you have too. There is no limit to what your mind can create. If you can think it, you can achieve it.
(3) Set your goals how you want to set them. If you are better with typing on a computer, then do that. If you are into vision boards, create one. If you are a pen-and-paper person, then write your list(s). I’m one for creating a list and scratching things off as I trudge along. Do what works for you.
(4) Create a strategy for each goal you set. It’s easy to say that you want to make more money this year, but if you don’t work harder or strategize a rational plan, it’s unlikely to happen. How will you make more friends? How will you get in shape? How will you stop worrying so much? Be intentional. Make a plan.
(5) Take the time to pray and reflect over your goals as the year moves along. What good is it to set a goal and then just leave it there? Don’t let this year be like your other years (for those of us who set “resolutions”).
(6) Stay focused….There’s a delicate balance between putting your energy into the things you care about and not beating yourself up when those things are taking a long time to happen. Keep focus. Rome wasn’t built in a day.
(7) Your goals are just that…YOUR goals. Set goals that are important to you…regardless of what that looks like for anyone else.
(7) Remember, there is no need to wait for a new year, new month, or new day to create a new you. You can decide to do that right now.
Cheers to a new year and a better you!!!